first comes love...then comes marriage

Friday, August 11, 2006

Little Earthquakes

Poncho felt a tremor the other night, that no one else seems to have felt (as of yet), but that is not what this post is about. Little Earthquakes is the latest Jennifer Weiner novel I read and I am definitely recommending it. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have read several of Weiner's books and have enjoyed them. I was lured to this one because it told the story of three women adapting to motherhood (and, as you know, this topic is pretty fitting for me right now). The book is touching, funny and sometimes sad. I did glean a pointer here and there and was pleased to see that all of them breastfed their babies (you see, it can be done!).

Jennifer Weiner has a blog and a my space account . I'm tempted to get myspace just to be in her list of people.

Meanwhile, I'm in the land of "What if?" and "What now?" as I reorganize the plot structure of my novel. There are some things I will have to change, like the beginning, and the ending needs work too. But, I'm pleased to report some parts make me laugh (I hope they make others laugh too...).

I never knew how important "What if?" is to a writer.
You can go with the first idea, or you can stretch your mind, your brain, your imagination and say, well, What if this happens instead... It's a fun exercise and I'm hoping it will spice up the book. Of course, I'm not talking about body snatcher type things or plot twists like she had an evil twin who was interfering in her life. Those are best left to the soap operas and bad B movies. These "What if's" have to be believable and consistent with the characters. Therein lies the challenge!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    Being cognizant to what makes a book good and memorable is half the battle. Bravo, I can’t wait to read your novel!

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But what if it was a real earthquake and only I felt it???

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please delete from here....
    - thencomes.blogspot.com 8
    spaghetti alla carbonara

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks a lot for such a wonderful site i see that you created it going the whole hog!!
    - www.blogger.com g
    spaghetti alla carbonara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home